Thursday, November 5, 2015

Mark Charles Response

"Most Americans are not overtly racist, but we live in a systemically racist nation." this is how Mark Charles ended his speech on Monday. I agree with this statement for the most part. People themselves are not personally racist but the nation as a total is racist toward people that are not Caucasian. We see all the time in the news that White officers are seen beating or killing black people. This is often seen as racism because they don't give a reason for the abuse. I agree that racism has been around for a long time. I also agree that what we did to the Native Americans was wrong and that we should never let it happen again. But, at the same time Mark Charles did not seem to acknowledge when the Native Americans attacked American settlers. One example of this is the Spirit Lake massacre, which occurred on October 8-12, 1857. A Wahpekute band of Santee Sioux attack on scattered Iowa frontier settlements during a severe winter. Jesus says in the Bible to turn your other check to the enemy and not to fight back. I believe that we can change this system by talking and working together. We can learn from this experience and use it as an example so it doesn't happen again. We can come together as a community of Christians to learn how to better all of our lives. We need to learn how to reflect on our own lives truthfully and make changes after because of it.

1 comment:

  1. Well stated! I like your challenge to see both sides of an issue, have empathy for each other and work towards forgiveness. What a great way to bring shalom!

    ReplyDelete